Title: The Sting of Mortality Author: Ronda Sexton Series: TOS Code: Spock/Chapel Rating: PG13 Archive: ASC, ASCEML, Spock/Christine list, BLTS It had started out like any ordinary day. Spock and Christine were enjoying shore leave on a quiet planet. They had been bonded for three months. This was their first chance to be off the ship since they had bonded. There had been no inkling of trouble whatsoever. Suddenly shouts broke out in the gardens surrounding the quaint cottage in which they were to spend their shore leave . Spock and Christine peered out the window. Angry people were coming from every direction. As they surrounded the cottage, Spock quickly drew Christine away from the window with him. "You in there," a harsh voice shouted. "We know you are in there." "Spock, what's going on?" asked Christine in a frightened voice. "I do not know," he answered quietly. He held her close to reassure her. "You in there!!" the angry voice shouted again. "Who do you think you are, staying there with a human female?" "It would appear that they object to me being with you. I am sure the local law enforcement officials will come to our aid." "Both of you come out now, or we'll come in after you," yelled another angry voice. Spock, noticing that the hostile mob was rapidly advancing on the cottage, quickly grabbed his communicator from a table near the windows. "Spock to Enterprise, emergency beam out!" The door burst open, and an enraged man stormed in. Just before the transporter took them, he fired wildly, striking Christine in the chest. As she slumped to the floor, the beam dissolved them. After they rematerialized on the transporter platform, Spock immediately crouched down beside her. "Get a medical team immediately!" he ordered Lieutenant Kyle. As Kyle hurriedly contacted Sickbay, Spock gathered Christine in his arms. "Hold on my T'hy'la, help is coming. You must hold on." "Spock," she whispered weakly. "The baby...." Her eyelids flittered and closed. "Baby," said Spock in confusion. He had not know she was pregnant. Dr. McCoy and medical techs rushed into the transporter room. "Oh my God," gasped Dr. McCoy. He hurried to their side and began scanning her immediately. "Let's get her to sickbay immediately." Spock stood by the bio bed as Dr. McCoy feverishly worked over Christine. She was fading away despite all of Dr. McCoy's efforts. Spock grasped her hand and tried to find her consciousness through their bond. The faint flicker of her mind brushed against his. //T'hy'la, don't leave me, I can not go on without, thee.// //Spock.........why is everything so bright? I see bright lights, I hear beautiful music.// //T'hy'la,// called Spock in desperation. //Stay with me, please stay. I need you and our baby.// //Spock, it is so beautiful, there is a little girl with me. She looks like you....// Her presence flickered and was gone. Alarms went wild in sickbay. "No," a voice screamed. Spock felt hands grab him and pull him away. He heard a hypospray hiss, and slipped into blessed unconsciousness. Later, Spock stood over his mate's lifeless form. The planetary law enforcement officers had already executed the man who had shot her. Had the man still lived, he knew that he would have claimed Stol-kar-fa-lee, the ancient rite of killing the one who slayed his bondmate. He felt so empty. The severing of the bond had left a gaping hole in being. He had been here for hours. No one could dissuade him to leave her. When he asked Dr. McCoy about the baby, he had confirmed that Christine was pregnant the day before, and she had planned on surprising him tonight. He could not believe she was gone. How could he go on without her. She was the one who held his soul. Tears of sorrow began flowing down his cheeks. His entire body began to shudder. He collapsed over his bondmate's body. He was alone again.....so alone.